“Vcruntime140.dll is missing” is a common error that occurs due to the incompatibility of some software with the new Microsoft Windows update. It can also occur due to corruption of system files or because of a virus infection.
In this step-by-step guide, you will find insights to fix a “vcruntime140.dll is missing” error easily without risking any more damage to your computer.
Common Occurrences of a “vcruntime140.dll is Missing” Error
Windows users have been reporting the missing vcruntime140.dll for a long time. This is a common error and only affects specific programs or applications. It does not cause any overall damage to the computer, but prevents launching the affected applications.
Some of the applications that are commonly affected by this error are:
- Adobe’s Creative Cloud – Many users have reported that the Adobe’s Creative Cloud has stopped working due to this error. According to experts, this is due to the application’s migration from Microsoft runtimes to Visual C++.
- Kodi – Kodi is free media player software that has been constantly facing the missing vcruntime140.dll error. It seems that even reinstalling the media player software does not solve the problem.
- WAMP – Finally, WAMP is software that is usually affected by this error. The error prevents the application from launching, resulting in users being unable to use this software.
Along with these, there are also other software that are experiencing problems due to this error. However, you can fix the missing vcruntime140.dll easily with the help of the following step-by-step instructions.
Fix “Vcruntime140.dll is Missing” Easily
There are a few ways in which you can fix the missing vcruntime140.dll safely. However, many users tend to download the vcruntime140.dll file from unknown and unsafe websites on the Internet, which is not at all recommended.
Below are the safe and easy ways in which you can fix “vcruntime140.dll is missing.”
Solution 1: Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
Experts recommend that reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 can fix this problem. However, it is very important that you follow the correct guidelines and install all the missing files properly.
If not, then there is a good chance that you will have to face all the corrupted programs separately, which is obviously not a favorable situation.
Moreover, you may find this software on various websites on the Internet, but it is much better to download it from the official Microsoft download page. Follow the steps below to safely install the software and fix the corrupted and missing files.
- Go to the website link given below and click on the download link
- A new page will open with two choices of versions for download. If your computer is a 32-bit operating system, check on the x86 version of the file, and if it is a 64-bit operating system, check on the x64 version.
- Once decided, click on the Next button to initiate downloading
- Wait for the download to finish, then launch the .exe file
- The setup window will launch; agree to the license terms and conditions by checking on the box and then proceed to click on Install
- Wait for the installation to complete, then click on the Finish button to finally complete the installation
Once done, restart your computer and check to see if the problem still exists. In most cases, this should solve the problem you are dealing with. However, if you are looking for alternate solutions, then proceed with the next solution.
Solution 2: Repair the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015
If reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ software is not the way you prefer, then repairing it is the best alternative. Many users have claimed that repairing the software has worked just as good as reinstalling it with a new version.
To repair the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015, follow the steps below.
- In the Windows search menu, search for Control Panel and open it from the search results
- Once in, look for Programs and Features and click on it
- A list of all the programs installed on your computer will open; among them, locate Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64)
- Right-click on the program and click on Change
- An uninstalling window will open; click on Repair
- Wait for the process to finish and then click on Finish to exit
- Once successfully done, restart the computer
After restarting the computer, see if the problem still exists or not. In most cases, this should solve the problem. However, if not, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 3: Scan for Malware
If the above two solutions do not work for your system, then it is highly possible that your system has a virus infection. If that’s the case, then simply scanning the system for malware and removing it should solve the problem.
For this method, you can use Malwarebytes software to remove any virus on your system. You can download the software from the link below.
You can download the software here.
Follow the steps below to safely remove the virus using Malwarebytes:
- Download the software from the link and then open the .exe file
- An installation window will open; follow the instructions to install the software on your system
- After successfully installing the software, launch the application
- In the application, navigate to the Scanner tab; select Perform quick scan and then click on Scan
- Wait for the scan to complete
- If Malwarebytes detects any viruses on your computer, it will automatically move them to the Quarantine tab
- After the scan, navigate to the Quarantine tab and then select all the malware you want to delete, and then click on Delete
- Once done, restart your computer
After restarting your computer, check to see if the error has gone. If the first two solutions didn’t work, then this method will surely fix the “vcruntime140.dll is missing” error.
Conclusion – vcruntime140.dll is missing
“Vcruntime140.dll is missing” is an error that Windows users have been facing for a long time. It mainly limits itself to certain mainstream applications or software and prevents their launch. However, it is not a major error and does not cause any damage to the computer.
Vcruntime140.dll is mainly a part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 Windows program and can be fixed by properly reinstalling or repairing it.
Moreover, there are many website sources that offer you a vcruntime140.dll file to install, which is not at all recommended, as these websites can introduce viruses and malware to your computer in the name of a vcruntime140.dll setup file.