“Msvcr120.dll is missing” is a launch error that prevents your system from launching a particular game or application on your computer.
Usually, it occurs due to the presence of corrupted or damaged files within the application files.
In this article, you will find the best ways in which you can fix this missing msvcr120.dll error on your computer.
- 1 Ways to Fix a Msvcr120.dll Error
- 2 Conclusion: Msvcr120.dll is Missing Error
Ways to Fix a Msvcr120.dll Error
There are many ways in which you can fix this error.
Try the solutions present in this guide in a sequential order to fix this error as quickly as possible.
Solution 1: Scan your Computer for Viruses and Other Malware
In most cases, this error occurs due to the presence of viruses or other potential malware within the computer.
Hence, the solution can be as simple as scanning your computer for potential threats and removing any, if found.
Moreover, in some cases, the Windows Firewall and the antivirus software treat some application files as threats. This in turn prevents the application from accessing the .dll file.
If that’s the case, then disable your Windows Firewall and antivirus software. Then try launching the application.
If this solves the problem, then your application should launch without any problems.
However, if the application continues to show the error, proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2: Reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
Your Windows computer uses the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable runtime component. It’s used to run many necessary services and functions of the system.
However, these packages can easily get corrupt due to various reasons.
These corrupt files can sometimes cause problems in launching the application and show the “msvcr120.dll is missing” error.
You can reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages by following the instructions below:
- Press the Windows logo key + R to launch the Run application
- In the dialogue box, type control and press Enter to launch the Control Panel
- Now, set the View by to Large icons, locate the Programs and Features option, and click on it
- A window with a list of all the programs and applications installed on your computer will open
- Scroll down the list and locate programs starting with Microsoft Visual C++, then…
- Right-click on each of these programs and the click on Uninstall to completely remove them
- Now go to Microsoft support and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages
- Double-click on the downloaded .exe files to start installing
- Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the process
- After the installation is complete, restart your computer
Now try launching the application again. If this solution solves the error, your application will launch correctly.
However, if you still face the error, then proceed to the next solution in this guide.
Solution 3: Copy the Msvcr120.dll From Another Computer
If the missing msvcr12.dll is the only problem, then you can just add this file to your computer from an external source.
You can find these files freely available for download online, but it is not recommended to download these files from the Web.
Therefore, you will have to do the next best thing, i.e. copy the file from another computer.
But make sure that the computer you are copying the file from has the same specifications as your computer.
If you can access such a computer, then follow the steps below to copy the file:
- For this process to work, you will need a flash drive or an external storage device
- On the other computer, open File Explorer and then navigate to C:\ > Windows > System32
- Scroll down and locate the dll file. Copy it to the external storage device
- Paste this file on your computer in the same location, i.e. C:\ > Windows > System32
After successfully copying the file, try launching the application again. If this solves the missing .dll error, then your application will launch properly.
However, if you still face the error, then try the next solution.
Solution 4: Run System File Checker
You can also solve this problem using the Windows system file checker feature. This scans your system files to see if there are any damaged or corrupt files present.
Moreover, the system file checker automatically fixes the damaged files, if there are any.
Follow the simple steps below to run the system file checker on your Windows computer:
- Go to the search bar near the Start menu
- In the dialogue box, type command and then, while holding Ctrl + Shift, press Enter to launch the Command Prompt with administrator access
- Now, in the Command Prompt, type sfc/scannow and then press Enter
- Wait for the process to finish; this may take some time
- Once the process completes, close the Command Prompt. Close all other open applications and then restart your computer
Try running the application now. If this works, your application will launch easily. However, if this also fails to solve the problem, then try the final solution.
Solution 5: Reinstall the Application Correctly
If nothing is solving the “msvcr120.dll is missing” error, then the problem might have occurred during the installation process.
Hence, the only way to fix the error would be to reinstall the entire application, but this time, install it correctly.
To avoid any problems while installing the application this time, use your system lightly.
Refrain from launching applications that heat up your computer or take up too much processing speed to work.
Also, uninstall the application safely before installing it again. Do not just delete the application files from the file explorer.
You can safely uninstall it from the Programs and features menu in the Control panel.
Conclusion: Msvcr120.dll is Missing Error
“Msvcr120.dll is missing” is a common Windows error that has been bugging a lot of Windows users. It is not a serious threat to the computer.
It, however, prevents the system from launching the applications or games that you wish to run.
Anybody with basic computer knowledge can fix this error.
All you need is this amazing guide. It has the most efficient solutions provided in a step-by-step manner to help you find your way easily.
Petr is a serial tech entrepreneur and the CEO of Apro Software, a machine learning company. Whenever he’s not blogging about technology for itechgyan.com or softwarebattle.com, Petr enjoys playing sports and going to the movies. He’s also deeply interested about mediation, Buddhism and biohacking.