Err_connection_timed_out error is a connection error you may encounter while using the Google Chrome browser.
This error means the server is taking too long to respond. This results in a failed search on the Google Chrome browser. This can be frustrating
In this post, you are going to learn how to fix the problem in simple steps.
How to Fix the Err_Connection_Timed_Out Error on Chrome Browser
Although err_connection_timed_out is a nagging error, you will be pleased to know it’s possible to fix it. There are a few ways you fix this problem, and we’ll be covering them in the next few paragraphs.
Try the solutions below in the order in which they are listed. But of course, you are free to jump to any solution you would like to try.
Clear Your Browsing Data and Cache
Your Google Chrome browser will often save your browsing data such as app data, cookies, cache files, and more. This data can cause err_connection_timed_out error.
Here are the steps you need to follow to delete your browsing data on Chrome:
- Press the three dots on the top-right corner of your website and select Settings
- Scroll down and click on Show advanced settings…..
- Click on the run-down menu to choose the beginning of time when you would like to delete data. Check all the boxes beside the items listed and click on Clear browsing data.
If this solution doesn’t work, try the following method.
Check Your Internet Connection
One of the most common causes of connection error is internet connection issues. So make sure you check your internet connection to ensure there are no issues.
Also, make sure all hardware components have been connected correctly and check if there is damage that could be interfering with the internet connection. If you are using a modem or Wi-Fi router that can connect to several devices, check to see if the connection is working on other devices.
This move will help you to determine if your internet connection is the cause of the problem. In cases where the internet connection is not the issue, the error could be due to a connectivity problem on the main server of the website you are trying to access.
Otherwise, try the next method.
Disable Your Windows Firewall
When your Windows Firewalls blocks certain websites due to security concerns, you may encounter the err_connection_timed_out. So, you may want to disable your firewall to see if the problem will go away.
Here are the steps you need to follow to disable Windows Firewall:
- Type control panel in the Windows search box and click on the appropriate option
- Click on System and Security.
NOTE: This option is only visible if you have selected “Category” under the “View by.”
- Now click on Windows Firewall
- Locate Turn Windows Firewall on or off on the left side of your screen and click on it
- Choose the radio button besides Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended)
- Click OK to save the changes.
NOTE: You can turn off Windows Firewalls for Private and Public networks. But in this case, turning off Windows Firewall for Private networks should be enough.
Now that you’ve disabled Windows Firewall, reload the website you were trying to access to see if the problem has gone away.
Update Network Adapter Driver
You may also encounter the err_connection_timed_out error due to an outdated or wrong network adapter driver. So, you need to update your network adapter driver to see if it will fix the problem.
It is important to update the drivers. Here are the steps you need to follow to update your network adapter drivers:
- Press the Windows Key + X on your keyboard to open the Power User menu and choose the Device manager
- Expand Network adapters
- Choose the name of your Network adapter
- Right-click on it and choose Update Driver Software
- Select Browser my computer for driver software
- Press the Browser button to find the driver folder you downloaded
- Click Next to proceed
- Follow the instructions on your screen and click Close to complete the task.
Once completed, restart your PC and check to see if the error persists.
Check Windows Hosts File
This solution only works for users who are experiencing err_connection_timed_out with a single website. However, if you are experiencing this connectivity issue with other websites, you can skip this method and proceed to the next one.
One of the main reasons why you are experiencing this error is because you have blocked some IP addresses or websites, and because of this, you are unable to access other websites. In this case, you may want to check the Windows hosts file.
Here are the steps you need to follow to check Windows Hosts File:
- Right-click on Notepad and choose run as administrator. If you have Notepad++ installed on your PC, you can use it instead. Click Yes when prompted by UAC
- Choose File on the top left corner of the Notepad window and click on Open
- Click on the run-down menu at the right and select All Types
- Then double-click on hosts
- Scroll down the Notepad and check to see if there are any websites or IP addresses listed after the last #sign.
- If you find any, delete them and save changes
- Now close Notepad and reload the website to see if the error has gone away.
If the problem persists check the next method.
Check LAN Settings
Viruses and other external factors can change your LAN settings. We recommend you check your LAN settings to see if they are correct.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open Control Panel and click on Internet Options after choosing View by Large icons
- Click on the Connections tab and then LAN settings
- Uncheck all the three boxes and click OK
- Close all the windows
Check to see if the problem has resolved. If the settings didn’t require any changes, proceed to the following method.
Renew IP Address and Flush DNS
You may also be experiencing the connection error due to DNS and IP issues. So you need to flush DNS and renew the IP address.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Press Windows key + R key on the keyboard to open the Run dialogue box
- Write cmd into the dialogue box and click OK
- Type the following commands in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter after each command:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /registered
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh Winsock reset
Once done, close the command prompt window and restart your computer for the chances to take effect.
Use a VPN
If none of the solutions worked for you, you may want to use a VPN to see if it will resolve the problem.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) provides a secure and private connection to a network. It can help you to bypass restricted content and blocked websites by connecting anonymously through a dedicated DNS server.
You may probably resolve the connection error by using a VPN. There are many VPNs on the internet, but we recommend a safe one. In this case, we recommend NordVPN. This VPN protects your IP address and ensures no one sees the websites you visit or files you download.
Follow these steps to download and use NordVPN: here is the link to download NordVPN.
Click on Sign up as a new user and follow the instructions on your screen to sign up. Choose Quick connect to connect to the server recommended server. You can also click on one of the various pins on the map to connect to a server in that country.
What Does Err_Connection_Timed_Out Mean?
Err_connection_timed_out is a common error in the Google Chrome browser. You are getting this error because the server is taking too long to respond.
How Do I Fix Connection Timeout?
Follow these steps:
- Go to Windows search and type internet option.
- Click on Internet options
- Press the Connections tab and then LAN settings
- Uncheck the box beside Automatically Detect Settings
- Use Proxy Server for LAN
Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Why Is My Connection Timeout?
A connection timeout means a server is taking too long to respond to the data request from your computer. There are many reasons for timeout errors. But the requesting device, the service, network hardware, or internet connection could be the culprit.
What Is Connection Timeout Error?
A connection timeout error occurs when a script exceeds the maximum timeout value. If the connection from a device does not receive a response from the server after about 30-40 seconds, the load balancer closes the connection automatically, and the recipient device receives the connection timeout error.
Err_connection_timed_out is one of the most annoying errors you will ever encounter on your Google Chrome browser. It is basically a connection error, but it is fixable.
You don’t have to be tech-savvy to fix this problem. Simply follow the instructions in this guide to fix the connection error on your Windows computer.
Petr is a serial tech entrepreneur and the CEO of Apro Software, a machine learning company. Whenever he’s not blogging about technology for itechgyan.com or softwarebattle.com, Petr enjoys playing sports and going to the movies. He’s also deeply interested about mediation, Buddhism and biohacking.