Unless you have the necessary software installed, certain files and Windows programs will fail to open and give the following error:
It’s super common to find the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error whenever you do a fresh install of Windows.
It can also happen when you install certain Adobe software and try to open it.
Luckily, the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error is very easy to fix.
What is the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll?
Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is a part of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio. If you’ve never installed the Microsoft package, then any software that requires that particular dll from the library will fail to open and give this error.
There’s also the chance that you have the package but that it somehow became corrupted.
3 Ways to Fix api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing Error
Since that particular dll is distributed by Microsoft, fixing this error is very simple.
Please note that you shouldn’t download dlls from suspicious websites — they can harm your computer! Even legitimate-looking websites disguise viruses as dlls, so you should always be on the lookout.
Here are three ways you can fix the error (if you already have Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 then proceed to fix number 3):
1. Fix the error via Windows Update
One of Windows updates includes Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. If you don’t have it, installing it via Windows Update can be an option.
- Open the Start menu and type “update”.
- Click “Check for updates”
- Once again, click on “Check for updates”
- Windows will check for updates automatically. If you’re on Windows 10, the updates will be installed right away. If you’re in Windows 7 you’ll need to click on “Install Updates”
- Restart your computer when prompted to do so
- Open up the program that was showing the error to see if it still persists. Chances are it won’t.
2. Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 Directly from Microsoft
If the problem still persists, or if for some reason you don’t want to update Windows, there’s another way to fix the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error.
Since it’s a part of Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 you can download it and install it straight from Microsoft’s website.
Here’s how you do it:
- Go to Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 download page
- Click “Download”
- Choose your system type (x64 for 64 bits or x86 for 32 bits)
- Run the .exe file you’ve downloaded and follow the installer’s instructions
- After the installation is complete, open the program that was showing the error to see if the problem still persists.
3. Repair Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
There’s a chance you already have Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 installed on your computer.
If that’s the case and you’re having the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error, then you might need to repair it.
To repair Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015:
- Open the Control Panel by opening the Start Menu and typing “Control”
- Click “Programs and Features” when viewing by “small icons”
- Click on “Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable” and then on “Change”
- Click Repair
- Follow the instructions on the repair wizard to complete the repair
After completing the repair you shouldn’t be having the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error anymore.
If you can’t find Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 then you might not have it installed. If that’s the case, go back to step 1 or 2.
After following any of these steps the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing error should be completely gone. If it isn’t let us know – we’re here to help.
Petr is a serial tech entrepreneur and the CEO of Apro Software, a machine learning company. Whenever he’s not blogging about technology for itechgyan.com or softwarebattle.com, Petr enjoys playing sports and going to the movies. He’s also deeply interested about mediation, Buddhism and biohacking.