You may encounter the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is a missing error when you are trying to open a new program or file on your Windows computer.
But don’t worry. You are not alone.
In this post, you are going to learn how to fix the problem in simple steps.
What Is Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-l1-1-0.dll?
Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is a system file built into Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015.
It is a DLL file (Dynamic Link Libraries), which are basically external parts of a program that runs on Windows and other operating systems.
What Causes the Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-l1-1-0.dll Missing Error?
When you try to open Skype, SmartFTP software, Corel Draw, Autodesk, XAMPP, or Microsoft Office or any other programs, you may see the error message:
The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this program
It is a frustrating error if you urgently need to use the affected program.
But what causes this error?
As mentioned above, the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll file is part of the Microsoft package. If your computer does not have this software, or it is corrupted or incompatible, any software that requires this dll file will fail to open and throw the error.
Read on to find working solutions for this problem.
How to Fix the Error
Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing is an annoying error as it prevents you from launching the programs you want to use.
Since the dll file is part of the software, we can fix this problem by reinstalling the software.
NOTE: Do not download dll files from suspicious websites. They contain viruses and malware that could harm your computer.
Read on to find simple fixes for the dll error.
Update Your Windows OS to Its Latest Version
Windows Update KB2999226 comes with a built-in Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. So, installing these updates means you will automatically get the dll file in your system.
- Type update in your Windows search box and press Enter.
- Click on Windows update on Windows 7 or check for updates on Windows 10
- Click on Check for updates
- Windows will then check for updates automatically. If you are using Windows 7, click on Install Updates. On Windows 10, the updates will install automatically.
Restart your computer
Repeat the steps above until there are no more updates to install
Try to open the program or file associated with the error. If it opens successfully, then the problem has been solved. If it does not, try the next fix.
Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 Directly from the Microsoft Website
If you don’t want to update Windows for one reason or another, you can fix the error by downloading the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 from the Microsoft website.
Follow these steps to download the software:
- Go to the Microsoft Download Centre web page
- Click on Download
- Select system type [x64 or x86(x32)] and click Next to proceed
- The download should start automatically
- Once the download is complete, double-click on the executable and follow the instructions on your screen to complete the installation
Open the program or file that was throwing the error to see if it can launch. If it opens successfully, you are good. Otherwise, try the next solution.
Repair Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Type control panel in the Windows search box and press Enter
- Click on Control Panel
- Now click on Programs and Features and select Small Icons under “V”
- Click on Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable and then on Change
- Click on Repair
- Press Yes when prompted by UAC (User Account Control)
- Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the repair
This should solve the problem. If not, don’t despair. We’ve got another solution you can try.
Copy the Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-l1-1-0.dll File from Another Computer
If none of the solutions above work for, you can copy the dll file from another computer that has the same system type of Windows as yours.
So, find a computer that runs the same Windows system type as yours and follow these simple steps.
We’ll divide this solution into two parts:
Part 1: Check your Windows system type and find a computer with similar specifications
Follow these easy steps:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard to launch the Search box
- Type system information and choose the appropriate option from the list
- A new window will open and display the system type of your PC
Part 2: Now copy the.dll file from the other computer and paste into your computer
Follow these instructions to do that:
- Press the Windows key + E key simultaneously to open File Explorer
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32. Type api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll into the search box and hit Enter. If nothing comes up, navigate to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 this time and search for dll again.
- After finding the dll file, copy and paste it in the same location you found it in your computer.
NOTE: Not every computer that has the same system type as yours has the dll file you can use to resolve the problem. Therefore, this method does not always work.
Where Is Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-l1-1-0.dll?
In most cases, the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll can be found in the Windows system folder. However, some software programs such as PC games require the dll file placed into the game’s installation folder.
Why Is Api-Ms-Win-Crt-Runtime-l1-1-0.dll Missing?
This dll file is built into Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio. If this package is missing from your computer, any program that relies on this dll file will fail to launch and give the error.
How Do I Install a DLL File on Windows 7 64 Bit?
Follow these steps:
- Click on the Start button and then type Run into the search box
- Select Run from the list to open the Run dialogue box
- Type regsvr32 and the path of the dll file into the dialogue box
- Press OK and you will receive a message to confirm the successful registration of the dll file.
How Do I Install a DLL File on Windows 10 64 Bit?
Follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer and go to the location below %systemroot%\System32
- Once the System32 folder is open, copy the dll file you wish to register and paste it into the path below %systemroot%\SysWoW64
NOTE: Don’t skip these two steps; otherwise, you may encounter errors like “The module failed to load” and “The specific module could not be found.”
- Click OK and restart your computer for the changes to take effect
If you receive the error message “The attempt to register dll file failed,” disable UAC in Windows 10.
Sometimes it is inevitable to encounter the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is a missing error when you are trying to open an application on your computer. Many of you may get confused when facing this technical glitch.
We hope the solutions mentioned above can help you fix the problem
Petr is a serial tech entrepreneur and the CEO of Apro Software, a machine learning company. Whenever he’s not blogging about technology for itechgyan.com or softwarebattle.com, Petr enjoys playing sports and going to the movies. He’s also deeply interested about mediation, Buddhism and biohacking.