Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry taking up way too much of your time? I have tested and reviewed everything you need to know about it.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is an automatic service in Windows 10 which collects and sends data from your Pc to Windows development team. It collects data about how the Windows device and its related all software is working. Since it is collecting all raw data from the windows device some people started to think that Microsoft is breaking into their privacy.
However, Microsoft guaranteed that they ensure the security of the user. If you are worried about your personal privacy then don’t worry after reading this complete guide you will have all the information about Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry.
What Kind of Data Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry collects
- Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry sends typed text from your keyboard every 30 minutes.
- It transmits everything you say to Cortana and full transcription of yours. conversation with Cortana goes to Microsoft Windows developer team
- It sends a list of all multimedia file from your computer to Microsoft.
- It sends first 35 MB of data from your Webcam when you use it first.
- It collects what type of hardware you use.
- It also collects the device driver details.
What kind of data it doesn’t collect
- Your Geographical location to provide you the weather service.
- Your Search History from Being
- The Wallpaper on your Operating system.
Main Intention behind this
- Microsoft collects data from your device via Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry to keep your operating system updated.
- To provide better security, better performance of your software, and safe from virus attack.
- Upgrade windows operating system according to what it’s user wants.
Now you have the idea about what Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is, what kind of data it collects, and what does it do with your data.
Now if you don’t want Microsoft taking away data from your computer and you also don’t want to compromise your privacy then you can disable it on your end.
Simply follow the steps to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry on your device.
Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry by cmd
- Find the windows logo and letter “R” on your Keyboard/keypad.
- Hold on to this two key together at a time to open run box.
- Once run box pops-up on your screen type “cmd” in the blank space to open Command prompt.
- Once Command prompt open right click on the Command prompt window and select run as Administrator.
- Now just copy and paste the following command on your cmd admin screen and hit enter after every command:
Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry by Deleting ‘CompatTellRunner.exe’ with owner rights
To do this you have to do the following steps
- Log in to your computer as administrator
- Open start menu
- Use windows search bar and type the following ‘compattelrunner.exe’
- Once you find the program right click on it and click on open file location
- Now right click on program and select properties
- Now go to security tab, here you will see an advance button click on it
- In this window go to owner tab and click on change owner here you will see your Pc’s username in the list – choose it and click on the Apply button
- You may get a message requesting you to close all present open Properties windows, close them.
- Open the file that has ‘Compattelrunner.exe’ document and right-tap on this record once more.
- Go to Properties > Security > Advanced > Permissions. Pick your account and Edit. Now take a look at Permissions of Users window. Here checkmark on Full Control and hit Apply.
- Erase ‘Compattelrunner.exe’ from its file, now right-click on the recycle bin and select Empty the Recycle Bin.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is a self-working program by Microsoft for Windows 10 user to improve the performance of the operating system. I hope this article has helped you to understand the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and how it works.