In this article we’re going to teach you how to jailbreak your Amazon FireStick so you can install several apps that allow you to stream free movies, TV shows, and even live content.
The information in this article applies to the Amazon FireStick, Fire TV and Fire TV Cube.
What is Jailbreaking a FireStick?
The main reason to jailbreak a FireStick is to install third-party applications on it. These applications aren’t available on the official Amazon app store and must be sideloaded.
Sideloading applications in your FireStick is commonly known as jailbreaking.
Why Jailbreak Your FireStick?
The Amazon FireStick is one of the most popular streaming devices available on the market. If we were to find a reason for it, it would probably be the fact that almost every single streaming platform has an app for the FireStick.
However, not everyone who buys a FireStick is interested in the popular streaming apps. Some people get the FireStick in order to install Kodi on it.
The major issue is that Kodi isn’t available on the official Amazon app store. To install Kodi on a FireStick, you need to “sideload” the app.
Is it Legal?
Sideloading apps on your device (or jailbreaking it) is not illegal. However, it should be noted that people usually sideload apps so they can watch pirated content.
So, while there’s nothing illegal about jailbreaking your FireStick, what you intend to do with your jailbroken device might be illegal.
If you intend to stream pirated content, you might be interested in protecting your identity by using a VPN. There are several VPNs available. You will most likely be interested in one with fast speeds.
How to Jailbreak Your FireStick
1. Tweak Your FireStick to Allow Apps From Unknown Sources
The first thing you need to do in order to be able to jailbreak your FireStick, is to enable it to install apps from unknown sources.
Doing it is quite simple and doesn’t even require a computer. Here’s how you enable apps from unknown sources in your FireStick:
- Using your remote, navigate to “Settings”
- Select “Device”
- Choose “Developer Options”
- Enable “ADB debugging”
- Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources”
Doing these simple steps allow you to be able to jailbreak your Amazon FireStick. But, obviously, the process isn’t quite done yet. There are still a few things you still need to do.
2. Install ES File Explorer on Your Amazon FireStick
To be able to run Kodi on your FireStick, you will need to install a file explorer on your device. ES File Explorer is one of the safest, and most commonly used, options.
To install ES File Explorer on your FireStick:
- Go to the Amazon App store on your device and search for “ES File Explorer”
- After you find it, click download and install
- After installing ES File Explorer, open it to start using the app.
3. Installing Kodi on Your FireStick
Like we’ve said, sideloading an application (in this case Kodi) is the equivalent of jailbreaking your device. So, the final step in jailbreaking your FireStick is to install Kodi.
Installing Kodi using the ES File Explorer isn’t that complicated (as a matter of fact, it’s one of the easiest ways!). Here’s how you install Kodi on your FireStick:
- On the ES File Explorer menu go to “tools” and choose “Download Manager” from the left-hand menu
- Click on “+ New”
- A new window named “Path” will pop up. Here you need to write down a web address that contains the Kodi .apk. A simple google search will yield you plenty of results, but we’ve searched for a couple you can use:
- After inserting the desired path, you need to name your application. We suggest naming it “Kodi”
- Click on “Download now” and ES File Explorer will start downloading your Kodi app from the website you chose
- After the file is downloaded, press “open file” and then click on “install”
- Using your FireStick remote, navigate to the “Install” option
Congratulations, your FireStick is now jailbroken! You just need to press “Open” to be able to use Kodi.
Don’t worry if the app takes too long to open the first time you use it. It’s completely normal and it should boot up faster in the future.
Although Kodi can be used by itself to stream your own content, installing Kodi addons can bring your Kodi experience to the next level.
Kodi addons allow you to stream free movies and TV shows, as well as watch live streams from channels all around the world.
Of course, this might not be entirely legal, so use Kodi addons at your own risk. As always, we recommend doing so using a VPN so you’re protected.
Which Kodi Addons Should I Install?
Navigating the world of Kodi addons can be a daunting and confusing experience — there are so many addons to choose from that you might be unsure on which to install.
Luckily, we’ve written an article that compiles some of the best Kodi addons currently available.
Despite the addons available on that list, there are many more to choose from. We’ve gone ahead and searched for some more addons you might want to use. Here they are:
- Exodus Redux – A fork of the popular Exodus Kodi addon. Exodus Redux allows you to stream free movies and TV shows from their ever-expanding library. This addon finds tens of stream links of all of your favorite content.
- The Magic Dragon – This Kodi addon allows you to binge-watch movies and TV shows for hours on end with its huge media library. You can play content from SD to full HD resolutions.
- DeathStar – DeathStar can be your one-stop-shop for Kodi addons, as this addon is made of over 40 popular Kodi addons. It was created by some of the top Kodi addon developers and allows you to watch movies, TV shows and stream live television from all around the glove.
By following this guide you’ve successfully jailbroken your FireStick. How do you use it? Do you have any questions or are you facing any issues? Let us know in the comments below!